Free School Meals
Parents, could your child be eligible for free school meals?
In these difficult financial times, we want to make sure you're getting all the help you're due. A lot of families don't claim free school meals even though they're entitled. That's why Derbyshire County Council has launched a campaign to encourage people to check to see if they're eligible.
You don't need to worry about other children knowing your child gets free school meals. Only the school and catering staff will know. As you know, our system is electronic so students with free school meals just automatically have their account credited, they don’t have to add any money to the account.
You could save £400 a year for each child and your children could benefit from a good hot meal at lunchtime. As a school will benefit too, students with free school meals get the pupil premium of £935 a year from the government. This can be spent on additional opportunities and support for these students. At New Mills School and Sixth Form, we use our pupil premium money in a wide variety of ways, providing support both in lessons and for extra-curricular events and trips.
Your child may be able to get free school meals if you (or the young person themselves, where appropriate) get any of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided you're not also entitled to Working Tax Credit* and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
- You can get this help if you get Working Tax Credit and you are in the four week 'run-on' period where your WTC is due to stop because you have stopped work or reduced your hours
- Universal Credit (NB this benefit is only just being introduced in Derbyshire.
NB - young people age 16-18 who receive the above benefits or Tax Credits in their own right are also entitled to receive free school meals.
You will not be eligible if you are claiming Working Tax Credit.
To apply, fill in the form on this page and we'll write to you to let you know if your application has been successful.