Creative and Performing Arts Faculty
CAPA CORE PURPOSE: Inspiring Creativity and Independence, Unlocking Potential, Outperforming Expectations
Our CAPA Ethos:
- A relentless focus on high standards
- Set no limits, accept no excuses
- Consistent whole school teaching and learning strategies
- Developing independent growth mindset learners
In the Creative Arts faculty we work incredibly hard to encourage and develop young people and their individual abilities and talents. All of our staff are passionate about their respective subjects and go above and beyond to foster and inspire students to be the best that they can be. We work with all young people across the ability range with the sole aim of personal development and progress through the delivery of enjoyable, innovative, engaging and outstanding lessons.
The national curriculum allows for the learning and teaching of all key skills and abilities, however across the faculty we encourage students to engage with us in their own time at lunch and afterschool. Many young people at NMS take these opportunities and across the school week you will find all of our departments busy with students engaging in the Creative Arts.Over the course of the school year we offer a broad range of trips and visits to theatres, galleries and sporting venues to encourage our young people to expand their knowledge and experiences of the Creative Arts. These trips and visits are incredibly well attended.
KS3 Core learning and teaching in Creative Arts
Across years 7-9, students access all of the Creative Arts subjects and we follow the national curriculum guidelines on core skills and abilities. This ensures that we offer a broad range of topics and activities so that every child’s individual needs can be met. We are an inclusive faculty and use Student Voice activities and feedback to help ensure that every child feels happy and safe when in our learning environments. Whilst there are compulsory components to our key stage 3 curriculums we try to design our schemes of work and lessons to cater for the young people in front of us.
Taking Creative Arts subjects as an Option in KS4
All Creative Arts subjects have historically been very popular choices in key stage 4. We try as a faculty to introduce elements of GCSE/BTEC throughout KS3 so that students become aware of the rigours and requirements of creative subjects at examination level. Our subjects have a strong practical element so exposing students to GCSE style assessment in year 9 allows them to prepare and understand in part, what the GCSE/BTEC course will require of them.
Our CAPA vision
- Through excellent teaching, work together to set challenging targets, encouraging our young people to aim high and achieve high.
- Develop resilient, independent learners who are creative thinkers, self-motivators, team workers and confident communicators.
- Foster a cohesive community where staff, students, parents and the wider community work together for the good of all.Develop our site and facilities to allow for innovation and excellence using new technologies to deepen and enrich leaning.
- Work with all who are part of our community to promote an ethos of lifelong learning.